Friday, February 10, 2012

End-of-Week Studios

Today at Film Roman, staffers were in the process of shipping a few new shows, and artists I saw were either A) drawing madly or B) kicking back a little because their crunch was over. ...

About Simpsons episodes, New York Magazine has noted: The annual Halloween “Treehouse of Horror” anthologies have been especially strong. ...

Today I was told:

"We put more crowd scenes and more production into the Halloween shows. There are four animation timers on the Halloween shows. They always want the episodes to be extravaganzas and the budgets are higher ..."

Which is something I didn't know (probably because I don't pay close attention.)

People at Film Roman/Starz assume the 25th season will be the last (I'm not as sure), followed by another movie. (That seems a sure bet.)

Earlier in the week at DreamWorks Animation, I counted five animated features* being animated inside the Lakeside Building. (The Croods, Guardians, Madagascar, Turbo, How to Train Dragon Deux. And I probably missed one. DWA does not lack for projects.)

A story artist filled me in on the twists and turns of story development on the feature she's been working on. (Revisions, sequences changed and/or dropped, continuity challenges. Just like always. And no, I'm not going to mention the specific feature. The same tales I heard yesterday I also heard twenty-one years ago, regarding Aladdin. Then, they reworked big pieces of the movie in about a month. Story artist were ... ahm ... stressed.)

* Some of these features are also being worked on elsewhere.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The fifth one you forgot is either "Me & My Shadow" or "Mr. Peabody & Sherman".

Some of these features are also being worked on elsewhere

Does this mean more outsourcing to India? Bummer.

Anonymous said...

So they went ahead with Turbo? Bad move. Also bad characters and bad script.

Steve Hulett said...

Does this mean more outsourcing to India? Bummer.

Or Northern California. (PDI.)

Anonymous said...

Does this mean more outsourcing to India? Bummer.

Is it technically outsourcing if Dreamworks owns the studio?

They own PDI and no one every says they "outsource" to PDI.

Anonymous said...

It's a strange comment that Steve made. Obviously it's PDI

Anonymous said...

DreamWorks doesn't own the studio in India, Technicolor does.

Anonymous said...

Okay thanks! I was under the impression that the Indian studio was a branch of Dreamworks like PDI. Owned and operated by Dreamworks.

Anonymous said...

There are other productions at Film Roman other than The Simpsons...
I'd love to hear about Dan Vs, the Marvel productions or a pilot or two that I've heard about as well :)

Site Meter