Thursday, July 16, 2009

Fox Animation Bags a Brace of Nominations

Today was Fox Animation day, and the first five minutes I was there, I found out the Big News regarding a fancy gold statuette:

Family Guy became the first animated series since The Flintstones in 1961 to be nominated as best comedy series – which will pit it against a record six other programs, it was announced Thursday morning ...

FG also copped a nomination in the animation category. So kudos to the crew over there on Wilshire Boulevard. As Mr. MacFarlane said to the New York Times:

"All of the prime-time animated shows have been frustrated for a long time at not being put up against the shows that do things that are analogous to what they do. ... We just do it in a different medium. But it’s no less legitimate than the fact that shows like ‘30 Rock’ and ‘The Office’ use a single-camera format without an audience” yet compete with multicamera sitcoms.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

pick a genre, please.

seth really has benefited well from a path matt plowed through first.

Anonymous said...

Slight correction. FG was not nominated under Animated category. American Dad was.

Anonymous said...

Seth has been pushing for this, apparently out of pique that his show is so despised by others in the industry. Can you say "overcompensation"?

Anonymous said...

family guy is to simpsons as garfield is to peanuts.

Jeff Harris said...

I don't get it. I mean, I don't really understand the hate towards Seth and company for getting an Emmy nomination for Outstanding Comedy Series. I mean, they pursued and campaigned for the nomination just as Matt and company could have done for The Simpsons, Mike and company could have done for King of the Hill, and Trey and Matt could have done for South Park.

But since they didn't, they didn't get a nomination. I mean, I'm glad those hour-long programmings calling themselves sitcoms is only limited to one this year (Weeds), and I'm still a little ticked The Big Bang Theory wasn't nominated, but I'd think any acknowledgment of an animated series, any animated series, in the comedy category should be celebrated rather than scorned and loathed simply because it's Family Guy.

I mean, it could be worse. They could have given Hannah Montana a nomination in the category.

Anonymous said...

I am employed by Seth along with 300+ of my fellow artists and 839 members.I have worked for 5 straight years without a layoff. How can you possibly spew so much vitriol towards someone who has created so many jobs for us? This is the best place I have ever worked. On The Simpsons we were not allowed to be in the same room as the "writers", here Seth discusses stuff with us, asks for our input and invites us to his parties. I DON'T GET IT! Is is just abject jealousy? Seth was an animator, like us. WHy begrudge him success???

Site Meter